Friday 24 June 2011

Quebec - Basia Bulat

Bienvenue au Province du Quebec. I have great memories from this vast province. My cottage is here, my grandmother lived here until recently, my first time at a bar, my first time at the "ballet" and my first arena concert, Dave Matthews Band circa 1997. So I am not sure how many new people I've introduced you too at this point but if any this artist might be one. Her name is Basia Bulat and she is awesome. She is originally from Toronto bu now lives in Montreal. I have never seen her live as our schedules never seem to work out but I cannot wait until they do. I think the first thing that attracted me to her music was her main choice of instrument, the auto harp. She is the only person I know (personally or making a go of it) that plays one. She is super talented. I think it takes a certain something from a person to try to make it as an artist playing an instrument such as the auto. Same can be said of Old Man Luedekye and his banjo. The other thing she does by mixing it up and keeping it fresh is playing the same song with different instruments. She interchanges the auto harp, guitar, mandolin and piano seamlessly it is amazing. Here's a taste of what I am talking about. Her song, Gold Rush,done 2 ways:

Auto Harp:


Solo Acoustic Guitar (start at 50 seconds)

(HD Available)

Now that you got a taste of Basia, I really hope you like her and keep looking for other songs online. She has allot of great videos out there and she is headed to Newfoundland and Ontario soon so if you get a chance please go see her. Here's a couple more of my favourite songs

The Shore

(Available in HD)

Heart of my own

No comments:

Post a Comment